Hot chocolate made from a truffle, sounds fabulous, huh? It is, it’s so delicious. I adapted the recipe for hot chocolate truffles from one I saw over at My Kitchen Cafe. They are simple to make and would make a great gift. I am giving some away as a gift myself. Get a mug and fill it with some marshmallows and these truffles and you are all set! You can find inexpensive mugs at the dollar store or grocery store. The mug in my photo was one I found over at Tai Pan. Love that store!
I made two version of the truffles. I rolled one in hot cocoa mix and the other in crushed peppermint candy canes. The possibilities for other flavors are endless. There are so many different candy canes that you could really have some fun flavors. I have included some other ideas below. The other thing is you can actually make regular truffles with this recipe. Just roll the balls in cocoa powder, finely chopped nuts, or coconut.
Hot Chocolate Truffles
Real Mom Kitchen
- 12 ounces dark chocolate chips like Hershey's Special Dark
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 pkg of hot cocoa mix or 20 mini peppermint candy canes crushed **see tip below
- Place ingredients in a double boiler (***see note below) and stir until chocolate is melted and all the ingredients are well combined. A whisk is useful to use at the very end to get it nice and smooth.
- Allow the mixture to cool. Cool until the bowl the mixture in is not longer hot, can be slightly warm. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerator for about 2-3 hours until firm.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop the chocolate mixture ( approx. 1 inch scoops). Drop each scoop into a bowl filled with the cocoa mix or crushed peppermint candy canes. Roll each ball into the mixture to coat. Immediately place each ball onto a square of plastic wrap. (I tore of 6 inch strips off and cut then in half) Wrap up each ball with plastic wrap to seal. Place balls in a freezer bag and freeze until ready to use. Makes 20-22 balls. All depends on if you eat some while you are making them!
- To make the hot chocolate: 1 cup of milk into a microwave-safe mug. Carefully drop two unwrapped hot chocolate truffles into the milk. Microwave for about 1 minute. Stir and microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute more until the truffles dissolve into the milk. Serve warm!
Strawberry Candy Canes – Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Hot Chocolate
Cherry Candy Canes – Cherry Cordial Hot Chocolate
Orange Candy Canes – Orange Stick Hot Chocolate
Raspberry Candy Canes – Raspberry Truffle Hot Chocolate