I have never experienced a honeycrisp apple before I decided to make this honeycrisp autumn harvest salad. I always looked at how costly they are. Usually, budgetwise I always go for gala apples. I enjoy them and most of the time they are reasonably priced.
When I went to amke this salad, I started by tasting what a honeycrisp apple tasted like on it’s own. I was immediatley hooked. Apparently, this apple was developed to be crisp with a nice balance of sweet and tart.
The honeycrisp is considered to be the ideal apple for eating raw. I looked into the development of this apple and it is a hybrid of a honeygold and a macoun. I’ve never even heard of a macoun apple before.
This salad has a base of romaine lettuce. Then it’s topped with crumbled bacon, dried cranberries, sugared pecans, honeycrisp apple, and cheese.
You can go one of several ways with the cheese. You can use goat cheese, feta cheese, gorgonzola, or blue cheese. I LOVE goat cheese. It is so creamy! However, it is more pricy than feta. Then if you like that strong punch of blue cheese you can go for that. Or for a cheese similar to blue cheese but not as strong, go for gorgonzola. Any of those cheese will work well in this salad.
The honeycrisp autumn harvest salad is dressed with a homemade vinaigrette dressind. It is made up of canola oil, apple cider vinegar, water, Dijon mustard, suagr, salt, and pepper. The mustard in this dissing was a nice compliment to all of the ingredients in the salad.
Honeycrisp Autumn Harvest Salad
Real Mom Kitchen
- Apple Cider Vinaigrette6 Tbsp canola
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Salad1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 large honeycrisp apple
- 3 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup goat feta, gorgonzola, or bleu cheese
- ⅓ sugared pecan**see note
- For the dressing, whisk or blend all ingredients together. (I like to mix mine in a Blender bottle) Chill until ready to use.
- For the salad, rinse, chop and dry the lettuce. Dice the apple.
- Place the chopped lettuce in a large bowl with a lid. Pour half of the dressing over the lettuce. Place the lid on the bowl, and shake to toss. Divide the lettuce between two or three individual bowls.
- Top the lettuce with the chopped apple, cheese of your choice, dried cranberries, crumbled bacon, and pecans. Seve addtional dressing on the side as needed for taste. Seves 2-3.
Recipe adapted from Mommy Mouse Club House.