One of my favorite dishes my mom would make while growing up was stroganoff. My husband however, isn’t a stroganoff fan. I have made a version with ground beef before called Mock Stroganoff. I also have posted a yummy slow cooker version before called The Ultimate Beef Stoganoff. I love the slow cooker version and hubby said the Mock stroganoff was ok.
Then I saw this ground beef stroganoff version from Tina over at Mommy’s Kitchen. Hubby gave this version 2 thumbs up. The rest of the family loved it too. It fit the comfort bill for me too. Another bonus, it is so quick and easy to make.
You make this by browning the hamburger in a skillet along with some chopped onion, salt and pepper. While the meat is browning, start to cook the noodles, rice or mashed potatoes you plan on serving this with. Then drain off any grease from the hamburger. Then I cook the fresh mushrooms in the excess beef fat until tender and set aside.
Next add the cream of mushroom soup, gravy mix (plus water according to packet directions) into the beef mixture. Stir together and simmer over low heat about 10-15 minutes. Add mushrooms and the sour cream mix until thoroughly blended. Serve over your cooked noodles, mashed potatoes or rice.
- CONDENSED CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP
- BROWN GRAVY MIX
- SOUR CREAM
- SALT & PEPPER
- CANNED SLICED MUSHROOMS (I USED FRESH MUSHROOMS)
- EGG NOODLES, RICE OR MASHED POTATOES
Ground Beef Stroganoff
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 lb. hamburger
- 1 10 3/4 oz can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 packet brown gravy mix
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. chopped onion
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 small can sliced mushrooms I used fresh mushrooms
- Egg noodles rice or mashed potatoes (I love it over noodles)
- Brown & cook hamburger with chopped onion, salt and pepper. While the meat is browning, Start the noodles, rice or mashed potatoes to cook. Drain off any grease from the hamburger. (I then cooked the fresh mushrooms in the beef fat until tender)
- Add cream of mushroom soup, gravy mix (plus water according to packet directions) mix together and simmer over low heat about 10-15 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and the sour cream mix until thoroughly blended. Serve over cooked noodles, mashed potatoes or rice.
This is the origianl photo from this blog post. The above photos were updated in November 2023.