We have a local grocery called Harmon’s that has a green onion cheese ball that my family loves. We get for every Christmas and at other times through out the year.
They sell it as an actual cheese ball rolled in sliced almonds. They also sell it not with the almonds and in a container more like a spread. You can buy that and roll it in whatever you prefer. However, we leave it as is and serve it like a spread.
Just at the end of 2020, there was a chef that works for Harmon’s. She appeared on a local lifestyle televsion show sharing the recipe for their green onion cheese ball. I was so thrilled that I was going to be able to make it on my own now.
My mom used the recipe to make it first. Then I used the recipe to make it for a bridal shower that I helped with for my nephew’s fiance. When I made it I played with the spices. I added more and think it turned out fabulous. So below is my version of the original recipe.
This cheese ball was a hit at the bridal shower. I served it with a good assorment of crackers. It would also be great to use as part of a charcuterie board.Print
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 4 (8 oz) pkgs cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1/2 tsp onion salt
- 5 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 Tbsp chopped green onion
- sliced almonds, if desired
- In a bowl, add the sour cream, mayo, cream cheese, and spices. Mix together until well blended. I like to use a hand mixer for this. Fold in the shredded cheese and green onion.
- Serve as is with crackers, or divide mixture into three. Shape each third of the mixture into a ball and roll in sliced almonds.
Recipe adapted from Chef Lesli as seen on Studio 5.