I have shared a couple of amazing funnel cake recipes before. Today, I am sharing a mini sized version for funnel cake bites. This is everything you want from a funnel cake but in little bite sized pieces.
If you can mix up pancake batter, you can make funnel cakes. The batter is very similar. This recipe uses flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar for the dry ingredients. Then there is eggs, whipping cream, milt, melted butter, and canola oil for the liquid ingredients.
Once you have the batter, you need a pot with hot oil in in. I like to use my enamel Dutch oven. You just need a pot that you can safely heat 3 inches of oil in. The key to the perfect funnel cake bite is the oil needs to be at the right temperature. This insures that they don’t brown too fast and the middle gets fully cooked. You need to have the oil at 375 degrees.
Now to serve these you dust them with some powdered sugar. I also included a simple nutella dipping sauce to serve along side these bites. This sauce is ready in minutes. You just need some nutella, milk, and butter. All you have to do is heat the ingredients until they combine together. It’s delicous!Print
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 2½ cups flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Dipping sauce:
- 3/4 cup Nutella
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp butter
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk eggs until foamy.
- Add in cream, milk, vanilla extract, butter, and oil. Whisk together.
- In another bowl, whisk the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir together until combined.
- In a dutch oven or 12 inch frying pan, add oil to be at least 3 inches deep. Heat to 375 degrees.
- Using a spoon or cookie scoop, add a tablespoon or two of batter into the heated oil. The batter will puff up immediately and begin to brown on the bottom. As soon as the bottom of the batter ball is golden brown, flip it over and brown on the other side.
- Remove from the oil using a slotted spoon and place cooked funnel cake bites on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Dust cooled funnel cake bites with powdered sugar and serve immediately with the dipping sauce.
- For the dipping sauce, add the ingredients in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 second increments, giving a stir after each one until the sauce is combined. Serve with the funnel cake bites.
This recipe is adapted from Spaceships and Laser Beams.