Today, I have a tasty egg, sausage, and hashbrown casserole to share. You only need 6 ingredients to make it. You can also make it ahead of time or you can make it and bake it.
This is good for any breakfast. However, it would be especially wonderful for a Christmas breakfast or brunch. This casserole is all made in layers. You assemble this beginning with a base layer of frozen shredded hash browns.
Next, comes a layer of cooked breakfast sausage with onion. However, feel free to swap it out for cooked diced bacon or ham if you prefer. Either one will also still work great.
Then, you have a layer of cheese. Cheddar jack is my cheese of choice here, but again feel free to use whatever type of cheese or comination of cheese you like.
Last, you whisk eggs and milk together along with some salt and pepper. This is then poured over all of those layers of hashbrowns, sausage and cheese. All that is left is to bake this casserole. It has all those delicious breakfast items combined into one place. This egg, sausage, and hashbrown casserole is easy to cut into squares and serve.Print
- ½ pound pork sausage
- ½ cup diced white onion
- 4 cups shredded frozen shredded hash browns
- 1 cup shredded cheddar-jack cheese
- 5 eggs
- 1 ½ cups milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add a teaspoon of oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook until slightly softened.
- Add sausage to the skillet and cook until no longer pink, breaking up into small pieces as it cooks. Drain off any excess grease.
- Spray an 11×7 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread frozen hash browns in the bottom of the dish. Then sprinkle the sausage over the hash browns followed by the shredded cheese.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk eggs, milk and a pinch of salt and pepper together. Pour egg mixture evenly into the casserole dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes or until eggs are set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serves 8.
For make ahead casserole – Prepare as directed in steps 1-4. Cover dish tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 24 hours. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-50 minutes, uncovered. Let stand before serving.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Recipe adapted from Yellow Bliss Road.