This post contains affiliate links.
Today’s recipes is an easy Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup. I have 2 other versions. One is really thick and creamy the other one is brothy. This version is an in between the two.
This one starts with sautéing some onion, jalapeño, red pepper, and garlic with some olive oil until the onion is tender. Then you pretty much just add everything else in the pot and let it cook. It’s a long list for this easy Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup but don’t let it scare you.
You add in some chicken broth, tomato sauce, petite diced tomatoes, black beans, chicken, and corn tortillas. Then there is also the spices – salt, pepper, oregano, chili powder, and cumin. Put the lid on and let it cook for 7 minutes.
After that you all for a natural pressure release for 10 minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure. Add in some frozen corn and lime juice. Give it a stir or two and the hot soup with have that frozen corn ready to go.
Now the serving part is the fun part. You can serve it with all kinds of toppings. I am partial to some chips, sour cream, cheese, and cilantro. My husband skips the cheese. He doesn’t like stingy melted cheese in his soup. However, feel free to us anything else you like – tortilla strips, lime wedges, or diced avocado.
- OLIVE OIL
- RED BELL PEPPER
- BLACK PEPPER
- CHICKEN BROTH
- TOMATO SAUCE
- PETITE DICED TOMATOES
- BLACK BEANS
- CHILI POWDER
- DRIED OREGANO
- GROUND CUMIN
- BONELESS, SKINLESS CHICKEN BREASTS
- CORN TORTILLAS
- FROZEN CORN
- LIME JUICE
- TOPPINGS: SOUR CREAM, SHREDDED CHEESE, CILANTRO, LIME WEDGES, AVOCADOS, CRISPY TORTILLA STRIPS OR CHIPS, ETC FOR SERVING (OPTIONAL)
Easy Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Total Time: 17 minutes plus time to come to pressure
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 1-2 tsp olive oil
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 oz) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 3 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed into 1-inch pieces
- 3 to 4 corn tortillas, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1-2 Tbsp lime juice
- Toppings: sour cream, shredded cheese, cilantro, lime wedges, avocados, crispy tortilla strips or chips, etc for serving (optional)
- Using the sauté mode, heat the olive oil and sauté the onion, garlic, jalapeño and bell pepper for 2-3 minutes until the onion starts to soften.
- Add in the salt, pepper, chicken broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, black beans, chili powder, oregano, and cumin, chicken, and chopped tortillas. Stir. Secure the lid and and make sure valve is set to seal. Cook on high pressure for 7 minutes.
- Let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes before using manual quick release for the remaining pressure.
- Stir in the corn and lime juice. Serve with desired toppings.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 minutes plus time to come to pressure
- Category: chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Mexican
This recipe is adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Café.