It is soup season again and breadsticks are the perfect thing to pair with soup. These easy homemade breadsticks are made for dipping into a bowl of hot soup.
The dough for these are made from water, yeast, flour, sugar, salt, and olive oil. After you make the dough, it needs to sit and rest for 15 minutes. Next, you roll the dough out into a rectangle. Then, you will use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into strips. At this point, you can just place the strips of dough on a baking sheet. Or you can twist each strip of dough before placing them on the baking sheet.
Now, you are going to melt some butter in a bowl. Then, you will mix in some garlic powder, Italian seasoning, parsley, and parmesan cheese. This mixture gets brushed on top of the breadsticks. Once this is done, it’s time to bake these easy homemade breadsticks. Yep, there is no rise time, these just go right into the oven. They bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Finally it’s time to enjoy! Dip them in soup or eat them along side pasta.Print
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 3–3 1/2 cups flour , plus more for rolling
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp parsley flakes
- 1 1/2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- In a bowl, mix the water, yeast and sugar until just combined. Cover with saran wrap and let sit for 5 minutes, or until foamy.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine 1 cup flour and salt. Add in yeast mixture and olive oil and knead with a dough hook.
- Add 1/2 cup flour at a time until the dough is smooth, but not sticky. Cover the bowl with saran wrap and allow the dough to rise for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly flour the counter or a breadboard and roll out into a rectangle. Use a pizza cutter to cut into 16 pieces. Leave long or twist the ends and then place the breadsticks on baking sheets.
- Melt the 4 Tbsp of butter and stir in garlic powder, Italian seasoning, parsley flakes and Parmesan cheese. Brush over the tops of the breadsticks.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the bottom of the breadsticks are lightly browned. Brush any leftover butter over the top when they come out of the oven. Makes 16 breadsticks.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Breads
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
This recipe is adapted from I Heart Naptime.