About mid July is when my kids start to get bored with summer. We usually have done all the fun things that we have wanted to do and I have to get creative to help occupy their time.
When we get to this point, it’s the perfect time to get in the kitchen and make something. I like to find things that we can make in the kitchen but then use for play. This easy edible playdough is perfect for this.
All you need is 2 ingredients and it couldn’t be easier – a container of canned frosting and some powdered sugar. Yep, that’s it. And with all the fun colored frosting that they have out now, you can have some great colored edible playdough.
You can use this play dough anyway you like but it is fun to pretend that it is ice cream. You can use an ice cream scooper and scoop it onto actual ice cream cones. However you like to play with this playdough, this kids will have fun making it and playing with it. And no worries if anyone eats any of this playdough since it’s made with edible ingredients!
- 1 cup of pre-made frosting
- 2 3/4 cups of powdered sugar
- This is best made in a stand mixer. Place the frosting into the bowl of the mixer and place in the paddle attachment.
- Slowly add in increments of the powdered sugar mixing on low, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. You may not need all of the sugar. Just watch the consistency and stickiness as you go.
- Roll it into one big ball and make sure it is not crumbly or sticky. If you find you added a little too much powdered sugar, you can sprinkle a little olive oil onto the playdough and knead it together. If too sticky, just add a little more sugar.
Recipe adapted from Smart School House.