Did you know that you can make fabulous french toast from croissants? It is great to make croissant french toast with day old croissants from the store. It turns out deliciously buttery and flaky. Now you could stop there but why?
This croissant french toast is even better topped with a simple raspberry sauce followed by a creamy vanilla sauce! The raspberry sauce is just berries and sugar, so easy! The vanilla sauce does require a little more work and use of a thermometer but is so yummy. It gets some of it’s flavor and richness from ice cream! It is a great special occasion breakfast.Print
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 Tbsp vanilla
- vanilla ice cream
- 2 cups fresh raspberries or frozen unsweetened raspberries
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 4 croissants, split in half
- 2 Tbsp butter
- In a large saucepan, whisk the sugar and flour together. Add the cream and stir until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Then cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Place the egg yolks in a bowl and whisk to combine. Stir a small amount of hot cream mixture into egg yolks, this prevents the eggs from curdling when adding to the cream mixture. Now slowly whisk the egg yolk mixture into the pan with the cream mixture until well blended.
- Return the pan back to the heat. Continue cooking while stirring constantly until the mixture reaches 160°. Remove from the heat and gently stir in vanilla and ice cream until the ice cream is melted. Place plastic wrap over the surface of the sauce and allow to cool while making the raspberry sauce and french toast. This can be made the night before just allow the sauce to cool and place in the fridge until the morning.
- In another sauce pan, combine raspberries and sugar in a saucepan. Simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes. Berries with break down and sauce with thicken. Remove from the heat; set aside
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs and milk together. Dip both sides of croissants in egg mixture. Melt the butter on a griddle, the cook brown croissants on both sides until golden. Serve french toast topped with vanilla and berry sauces. Makes 4 servings.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.