It is the last theme week here at RMK leading up to the big day. This week I am sharing some quick and easy holiday appetizers like this Cranberry-Chili Cheese Spread. This way if you are heading to a party and have been asked to bring something, you will have some quick ideas of something to make. These will also work well to carry over to New Years also! We always just do a bunch of appetizers on New Years.
To begin the week, I have a delicious cranberry-chili cheese spread. It is perfect to serve with crackers or I tried it with Wasa Crispbread. Be sure to check out the giveaway I have going with them today.
I made this by making my own cranberry sauce. It is really easy to do as long as you can get your hands on some fresh and frozen cranberries. If you can’t get them, you can used canned cranberry sauce, but the homemade has the best flavor and texture in my opinion. This also makes enough to cover 2 blocks of cream cheese, so you can place them together and make one long appetizer or you can do what I like to do. I put one out and then save the other to replenish the spread during your party. This way you can have a nice and fresh looking one if needed. If you don’t need it then you have a nice treat for your family the next day!
Cranberry-Chili Cheese Spread
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 ½ cup fresh or frozen cranberries **See note
- ½ cup cranberry juice
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 8 oz pkg. light cream cheese
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 2 green onions sliced
- assorted crackers
- In a sauce pan, combine the cranberries, cranberry juice, and sugar. Cook over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Boil for about 10 minutes until the cranberries pop. There may be a few light colored ones that don’t pop, but don’t worry. They will soften as the sauce cools. Allow the sauce to cool to room temperature.
- Place cream cheese on a serving plate.
- Add the lime juice, garlic salt, cayenne pepper, and chili powder to the cranberry sauce. Mix well and pour over cream cheese. Sprinkle with green onion. Serve with crackers. Serves 14.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.