This post contains affiliate links.
If you are still in need of a dessert for Christmas, this chocolate peppermint roll cake is the perfect option. I made this last year for my Christmas Eve party.
The great thing about this chocolate peppermint roll cake is that it is made with a cake mix. The ingredients added to the cake are a little different though. You add 6 eggs, 1/2 cup water, and 1/4 cup vegetable oil. You also spread it out onto a larger baking sheet to cook. The cake is cooked in about 15 minutes.
The filling is made from butter, heavy cream, powdered sugar peppermint extract and crushed candy canes. Once you get the cake filled with the filling and rolled up, you coat the whole cake with a dark chocolate ganache. Once it’s coated you sprinkle chocolate shavings and more crushed candy canes over the top.
The main thing you need to know when making a cake roll, is you actually roll the cake up while it is still warm. You roll and and then let it cool the rest of the way. This is what makes it possible for it to have that great round shape without falling apart. This cake is fairly simple to make but looks really impressive.Print
Chocolate Peppermint Roll Cake
- 1 box super-moist devil’s food cake mix
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Cocoa powder for rolling
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1–2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup peppermints or candy canes, crushed
- 8 oz dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, beat the cake mix, eggs, water, and oil together for 2 minutes. Spread into the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Moisten a dish towel like a flour sack towel. Lay it out on the counter. Dust the top of the cake with cocoa powder and invert it onto the dish towel. Carefully remove the parchment paper and dust that side of the cake with cocoa powder. Carefully roll up the cake in the towel starting with the longest side of the cake. Allow to cool completely.
- Once the cake is cooled, add the butter, cream, powdered sugar and peppermint extract for the filling. Beat together until well combined. Carefully unroll the cake and spread the filling over the cake and sprinkle with the 1/2 cup crushed candy canes. Roll the cake up carefully from the long side. Place the cake seam side down on a cooling rack with a baking sheet underneath it.
- Place the dark chocolate chips and the 1/2 cup heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second interval stirring after each one until the chocolate chips are completely melted. Pour the ganache over the cake. Spread so the ganache coats the cake. You can always use the excess that falls through the cooling rack on to the baking sheet if needed.
- Garnish with chocolate curls and extra crushed candy canes. Allow to set before moving to a serving platter. Serves 10.
This recipe is adapted from Tastemade.