This post may contain affiliate links.
The past few days I have been focusing on breakfast ideas for Christmas morning. Today, I want to share a recipe for chocolate pancakes. I found it years ago on a site called Everything and Nothing. She got the recipe from a Better Homes and Gardens magazine.
For me, chocolate pancakes are a special treat saved for a special time of year. I like to serve them with caramel banana topping or warmed cherry pie filling. Then topped them off with some whipped cream. My favorites way to have these is with the cherry pie filling.
Also, I found a cute way to make regular pancakes fun for Christmas. I found this image at the Taste of Home website. Take some banana slices, cherry pie filling, a couple chocolate chips along with some whipped cream and you’ve got a cute Santa Pancake.
Today, I also am sharing my favorite recipe that fall under the pancake, waffle, and french toast category. The list is a little long but they are all fabulous. If you didn’t know I LOVE breakfast.
- Tender Sour Cream Waffles – my favorite homemade waffle recipe to make in my Belgian waffle maker. Love to serve these with Merry Berry Syrup.
- Eggnog French Toast with Eggnog Syrup – a yummy way to bring the flavors of the season to breakfast. The eggnog syrup is also excellent on regular french toast.
- Pumpkin Belgian Waffles – another yummy way to bring in a favorite seasonal flavor. These are great to serve with orange walnut butter and syrup.
- Mini German Pancakes – so cute and a fun new way to serve German pancakes. These are good served with triple berry sauce.
- Pain Perdu (AKA French Toast) – a yummy version of french toast. I especially enjoy the topping made from fresh strawberries, sugar, and orange zest.
- Pecan Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast – french toast stuffed with a cream cheese mixture then served with an almond citrus syrup. You can stuff the french toast a head of time and keep wrapped in plastic in the fridge until you are ready to dip them in the egg mixture.
- Strawberry Stuffed French Toast – another yummy stuffed french toast that uses strawberries. One on my kids favorites.
- Sausage-Peach Filled Puff Pancake – similar to a German pancake and filled with a mixture of syrup, sausage, and peaches – a yummy combination. You can make the filling ahead of time and warm before serving.
- Chocolate Waffles – a yummy waffle recipe. Love to make this one in the Belgian waffle maker too. Excellent topped with strawberries, berry topping, or caramel banana topping.
- Gingerbread Waffles – these waffles get a seasonal makeover with the flavor on gingerbread. I serve them topped with lemon syrup and lemon cream.
- Pumpkin Patch Pancakes – an easy way to give a boxed pancake mix a seasonal flavor. I like to serve these with apple cider syrup.
- Creme Brulee French Toast – this is made the night before and kept in the fridge. Just bake in the morning.
- Blueberry Sour Cream Pancakes – a yummy way to make blueberry pancakes.
- German Apple Pancake – a delicious version of a German pancake that incorporates apples.
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 Tbsp cooking oil
- In a large bowl combine flour and other dry ingredients.(I like to put the cocoa through a sieve to get rid of any lumps)
- In a second bowl, combine remaining ingredients.
- Stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture until slightly lumpy.
- Heat a lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet over medium heat until a few drops of water dance across surface.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. For each pancake, pour 1/4 cup batter onto griddle. Cook until lightly browned; turn when tops are bubbly and edges are slightly dry (about 2 to 3 minutes per side). Makes 16 pancakes.
- Calories: 104
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 15 mg
This is the original photo from when this post was first published in December 2009.
[…] Basil Chocolate Silk Pancakes, Dine and Dish Fluffy Paleo Chocolate Pancakes, Cheeky Kitchen Chocolate Pancakes, Real Mom […]
Bloggers are generally under appreciated, many thanks for taking the time to post this.
Pancakes are my favorite! great stuff ^^
[…] Over the years I have tried many pancakes. I have enjoyed many varieties of pancakes including Chocolate Pancakes, Cinnamon Bun Pancakes, Pumpkin Patch Pancakes, Blueberry Sour Cream Pancakes ,German Pancakes, […]
[…] Chocolate Pancakes […]
Thank you for posting this chocolate pancake recipe as I’ve misplaced mine and this could very well be it! This saves me from a dreadful digging through my recipes!