These chocolate caramel bars are a wonderful sweet treat. You only need 9 ingredients to whip up these tasty squares of chocolate and caramel goodness.
So, the base of the bar comes to gether quickly. Just mix oats, butter, brown sugar, flour salt and baking soda together. This is what encases the chocolate chips and caramel.
And, the caramel layer is made with just those wrapped caramels from the store melted with some milk. I used a bag of those carmel bits you can find by the chocolate chips. They melt faster and there is no need for unwrapping caramsls.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- 14 oz bag caramels unwrapped
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 (11.5 oz) bag milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt together. Stir in the softened butter and mix until crumbly.
- Press half of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the caramels and milk. Warm over low heat, stirring constantly until caramel is melted and smooth.
- Remove bottom crust from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over the top. Pour the melted caramel evenly over top of the chocolate.
- Crumble the last half of the flour/oats over the caramel. Bake for an additional 15 minutes. Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars. Serves 15.
This recipe was adapted from Pip and Debby.