Today’s recipe is a fun twist on the usual “pigs in a blanket” called “chicks in a sleeping bag”. It’s a recipe I found in Rachael Ray’s Yum-o! cookbook. It’s a cookbook full of family food. I loved the idea of using chicken sausage and wrapping it in puff pastry dough. Such a great variation of the “pig in a blanket“. I did adapt the recipe slightly. I also couldn’t find the chicken sausages at my store so I went with regular sausages. Of course, the week after I made these, my local grocer was giving out samples of the new chicken sausages they were starting to carry. Oh well. I’ll have to make ’em again with the chicken sausage.
Another bonus with this recipe is it also makes a salad to serve along side the chicks. You make a dressing using some of the dipping sauce ingredients for the chicks and serve it over a quick 4 ingredient salad. I added the green onion. This recipe is an great all in one meal. I must say the family absolutely loved the dipping sauce for the chicks. This meal really was YUM-O!
- APRICOT ALL FRUIT SPREAD
- SOY SAUCE
- VINEGAR – CIDER, RICE WINE OR WHITE WINE
- CANOLA OIL
- DIJON OR YELLOW MUSTARD – (I USED HONEY DIJON)
- SESAME SEEDS OR POPPY SEEDS (OPTIONAL)
- PUFF PASTRY DOUGH, SUCH AS PEPPERIDGE FARM BRAND
- PRE-COOKED CHICKEN SAUSAGES (1 PACKAGE), ANY FLAVOR, AVAILABLE IN THE PACKAGED MEATS CASE NEAR THE KEILBASA AND HOT DOGS (I USED POLISH SAUSAGES)
- ICEBERG LETTUCE
- MANDARIN ORANGE SEGMENTS
- ENGLISH (SEEDLESS) CUCUMBER
- GREEN ONIONS
- SALT AND PEPPER