Everyone at my house is always happy when this recipe for chicken fried rice is on the weekly dinner menu. One of the hosts (Nicea) of a local show called Good Things Utah shared this recipe. It is one of her favorite recipes and one of the few things she actually cooks. I adapted the original to the one I shared below. It makes enough for my family of 5 (it really feeds 6). However, I know my family wishes it would make more.
- CHICKEN BREASTS OR CHICKEN TENDERS
- SOY SAUCE
- WHITE ONION
- FROZEN PEAS (I LEAVE THESE OUT)
- WHITE RICE
- GARLIC CLOVES OR GARLIC POWDER
- GREEN ONION
- 1 to 2 Chicken breasts or 10 Chicken Tenders (cut into small pieces)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 carrots, finely grated
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup frozen peas (I leave these out)
- 5–6 cups white rice (cooked)
- 1/2 cup butter **see note
- 1 to 2 Garlic cloves, crushed or 1 tsp garlic powder (My family likes the garlic powder, It gives it a stronger garlic flavor)
- 3 scrambled eggs
- green onion, optional garnish
- Marinate chicken in soy sauce for at least 30 minutes. (I pull my chicken out of the freezer and put the soy sauce on it. Then it can marinate in the soy sauce while it thaws. When it’s thawed and ready then I cut it up)
- In a very large frying pan, cook chicken in small amount of olive oil.
- Add carrots and onions and sauté until clear. Add frozen peas and cook until soft. Then add the rice to the mixture.
- Add butter, garlic, and scrambled eggs. Stir until butter is all melted. Serves 6.
I have made this with 1/4 cup butter and it works fine.
Original photo for this post. Photo above was updated in March 2013.