I love carrot cake, I will take it in any form. These carrot cake cupcakes are the perfect size. They are preportioned and help me with my carrot cake addiction. I limit myself to more more that 2 cupcakes in a day. Carrot cakes is also a must have Spring treat in my book.
This carrot cake includes crushed pineapple. It gives the cake texture and sweetness. There is also a good combination of spices – cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. I also love nuts in my carrot cake. My family does not. You can use pecans or walnuts. I personally prefer wanuts. You can include them in the batter. You can even use them on top of the cupcakes, but nuts are completely optional.
The cupcakes are topped with a traditional cream cheese frosting. It is pure creamy chream cheese goodness that is just the right amount of sweetness. If you love coconut with carrot cake, you could even add some shredded coconut on top. I found these cute carrot picks from Walmart around Easter time to put on top of these delicious babies.
- For the cupcakes:
- 1 (8 oz) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
- 2 cups finely shredded carrots
- For the frosting:
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 24 muffin cups with 24 paper liners. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together the crushed pineapple and eggs until combined. Add in both sugars and mix until combined. Slowly mix in the oil and vanilla extract.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves and beat until just incorporated. Fold in shredded carrots and chopped nuts (if desired) until combined.
- Fill each muffin cup 2/3 of the way full with batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 18-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- To make the frosting: Cream together the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat for 2 minutes until creamy. Gradually add in the powdered sugar, alternating with the heavy cream until frosting is light and fluffy.
- Pipe or spread the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes. Store cupcakes covered in the refridgerator. Makes 24 cupcakes.
This recipe is adapted from The Domestic Rebel.