Today, I have another usful recipe to use that pound of ground beef you have sitting in the refrigerator. Grab a loaf of French bread from the store because we are making beefy stuffed french bread. This is ready in 30 minutes or less.
I love that this utilizes and inexpensive loaf of french bread that you can just grab from the bakery of your local grocery store. That will be the base of this recipe.
So this all begins by cutting that loaf of French bread in half lengthwise.
Then you are going to scoop out the insides of each half, but don’t throw it out. You take the soft fluffy inside and tear it into small chunks. You will use it as part of the filling.
Next you are going to brown that 1 lb of ground beef in a stillet along with some onion. Once that is complete, you drain off the excess grease and add in some celery and garlic. You cook that until tender. Up next, is some cream of mushroom soup, milk, worchestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Finally, mix it all together and heat it through.
Now, this is where those torn bread pieces come in. You mix it into the beef mixture. Then you take the bottom of the french bread that has been hollowed out. You pour that beef mixture into the howllow section and spread evenly. Add some shredded cheddar cheese and place the top half of the loaf on top.
Place it in the oven on a baking sheet for about 10 minutes. It gets that cheesey melty and helps keep that crispness to the crust of the french bread. Cut the loaf into sections and serve. This beefy stuffed french bread is a nice hot sandwich to enjoy at this time of year.Print
- 1 loaf french bread
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 (10 3/4 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 Tbsp chopped parsley, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the french bread in half, lengthwise. Using your hand, scoop out center of the bread for each half. In a bowl, take the insides of the bread and tear into small chunks.
- Set the two hollowed halves of french bread onto a large baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a skillet, brown the ground beef and onion together until beef is fully cooked. Drain any grease. Add in the celery and garlic to skillet. Cook a few minutes until celery is tender.
- Add in soup, milk and Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and heat through for 5 minutes.
- Add the beef mixture to the bread chunks. Stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the center of the bottom half of the french bread. Spread out evenly. Sprinkle with the shredded cheese. Place on the the top half of bread.Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted. Allow to cool for 5 minutes and slice into 6 pieces. Serves 6.
Recipe is adapted from Life in the Lofthouse.