This week is Breakfast for Mom week on RMK. Whether you want to have your mother over for breakfast, send the link to the recipes as a “hint” for your spouse to make along with the kids, or your an awesome spouse wanting to make a wonderful surprise breakfast – I have the recipes for you. They are all simple to make but taste special enough to make mom feel special. First up is yummy banana bread oatmeal.
This recipe uses those overripe bananas that I find frequently in my kitchen but then it is topped with ripe bananas to ramp up the flavor. It is also finished off with cinnamon and brown sugar along with walnuts (which are completely optional). I love walnuts in banana bread! I made this banana bread oatmeal with regular oats, but you can use quick oats if you prefer. Just be sure to check out the note in the recipe on how to adapt for the quick variety.Print
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 over ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon, divided
- 2 cups regular oats (see note below for quick oats)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 ripe bananas, sliced
- brown sugar
- chopped walnuts, optional
- In a sauce pan whisk together the milk, vanilla, mashed bananas, and 2 tsp of the cinnamon. Then bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Once boiling, mix in the oats and cook until tender and milk is absorbed, about 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar with the remaining 1 tsp cinnamon.
- Serve oatmeal topped with the brown sugar mixture followed by banana slices and walnuts if desired. Makes 4 servings.
Quick oat may be used, just change to cook time to about 1 minute.
Recipe adapted from Grubography.