Next to smoothies my other favorite breakfast is yogurt parfaits made with fresh fruit. One of my favorites is McDonald’s fruit and yogurt parfait – strawberry yogurt, strawberries, blueberries and granola. It is also fun to make them at home. You can do all kinds of fun combinations. Today’s recipe for Banana Blueberry Yogurt Parfait was one that I made after some inspiration from my Healthy Cooking August/September 2010 issue.
I love the textures you get in parfaits – nice creamy yogurt, crunchy granola, along with a pop of fresh fruit. Thawed frozen fruit works well too or you can even use granola that has dried fruit in it. Parfaits like this Banana Blueberry Yogurt Parfait are a great way to start of the day because you can get protein from the yogurt and the granola. It gets your body going and helps you feel full. They also work great as a snack or even dessert.
Here is a list of my favorite granola’s to use. Some are homemade and some are store bought.
My favorite Granola:
Mom’s Homemade Granola
Very Healthy Granola
Nature Valley Oats and Honey Granola Bars (crushed up) or the cereal (which is hard to find)
Quaker Oats n’ Honey Granola
Special K Low Fat Granola
or granola from the bulk section at Winco – I love the almond granola
- 1/2 cup granola
- 1/2 cup vanilla or pina colada yogurt
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2– 1 banana, sliced (if you use 1 whole banana that will give you 2 servings of fruit for the day!)
- Place 1/4 cup granola in the bottom of a glass or bowl.
- Follow with 1/4 cup yogurt and all of the blueberries (and 1/2 banana if using a full banana).
- Then top with remaining granola, yogurt, and banana.