This post contains affiliate links.
This baked tomato feta pasta has been making the rounds on Tik Tok and other social media platforms. Well, my neighbor had an abundance of tomatoes from her garden and asked if I wanted some. I gave her an emphatic yes and knew exactly what I was going to do with them. I was going to give this trending recipe a try!
Let’s just say I am so happy I did!
It is amazingly delicious. I must say that my husband and daughter weren’t thrilled about it. However, that is because they don’t like cooked tomatoes to be chunky. I was more than happy that they didn’t want it, because that meant more for me. I was able to take leftovers for lunch for a few days and I did not tire from this dish.
This recipe is as easy as adding some cherry tomatoes into a 9 x 13 baking dish. Then toss them with some olive oil, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. If you want a little spice, you can add in 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes. You place an entire block of feta in the center on those tomatoes. Then give it a flip so both sides of the cheese get coated with some of that olive oil.
Next to bake it in the oven at 400 degrees for 35 minutes. I ended up placing a piece of foil on top about 15 minutes into the baking process, because the oil got really bubbly. So I was concerned about getting the oil spattered all over my oven.
While the tomatoes and feta are baking, you can boil the pasta.
You can use any pasta you like, but I used mini farfalle or mini bow tie pasta. I think it was the perfect shape for this dish. Once you cook the pasta, drain but reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water. You may need to add in some of the pasta water when finishing this dish. However, I didn’t need to use it.
Once the tomatoes and cheese are baking, all you have to do in mash the tomatoes and cheese with a potato masher. Then you just mix in the cooked pasta. It’s that easy to make the baked tomato feta pasta!
- DRIED PASTA OF CHOICE (I USED MINI FARFALLE)
- CHERRY TOMATOES
- EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
- SEA SALT
- ITALIAN SEASONING
- FETA CHEESE
- FRESH OR DRIED BASIL, OPTIONAL FOR GARNISH
- PARMESAN CHEESE, OPTIONAL FOR GARNISH
Baked Tomato Feta Pasta
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 8 ounces of any dried pasta of choice (I used mini farfalle)
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8 oz) block feta cheese
- fresh or dried basil, optional for garnish
- Parmesan cheese, optional for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- . Place the cherry tomatoes in an oven-safe baking dish. Drizzle the olive oil over the top of the tomatoes. Then sprinkle with the garlic, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Toss until well combined.
- Place the feta block in the middle of the baking dish surrounded by the cherry tomatoes. Flip so both sides of the cheese get coated with olive oil.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes, until the cherry tomatoes burst, and the feta cheese melts. Set a piece of foil over the dish after 15 minutes of cooking to reduce the mess in your oven.
- While the tomatoes and feta are baking, cook the pasta according to package instructions until al dente. Drain, reserving ½ cup of the pasta water.
- Remove from the oven and a potato masher to mash up the tomatoes and stir everything together. It will create a creamy sauce with chunks of tomato.
- Transfer the cooked pasta to the baking dish and toss to combine. Add in pasta water if needed and stir to reach desired consistency. Garnish with fresh basil and parmesan cheese if desired. Serves 6.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Recipe is adapted from Mash and Spread.