Nothing beats a fresh tomato from the garden just like in today’s Bacon Caprese Salad. As a young girl, I could not stand fresh tomatoes. I was fine with the cooked tomatoes, I just couldn’t stomach the fresh tomatoes. I think part of the problem was I wasn’t properly introduced to fresh tomatoes. I should have sampled ones first from my family’s garden or from a farmer’s market. I have since learn a really good fresh tomato can taste awesome.
One of my favorite ways now to enjoy a fresh tomato now is in a caprese salad – fresh basil and tomatoes with slices of fresh mozzarella with a generous drizzle of balsamic vinegar. I have also learned in adulthood that fresh mozzarella is pretty awesome too. I like to get mine from Sam’s Club and it even comes pre-sliced!
Today, I am sharing an even better way to enjoy a caprese salad – with the addition of bacon. It’s kind of like a cross between a BLT sandwich and a caprese salad. However, the L from the BLT is not lettuce. Instead, it is spinach.
Enjoy those amazing tomatoes while you can with this flavorful fresh salad! I have another tomato recipe for you all tomorrow, so be sure to stop by again!
Bacon Caprese Salad
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 plum or roma tomatoes cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 8 bacon strips cooked and crumbled
- ½ cup fresh basil minced
- 2 green onions chopped
- ¼ cup balsamic vinaigrette
- salt and pepper to taste
- Arrange spinach to cover you serving platter or individual plates.
- Then arrange cheese and tomatoes over the bed of spinach.
- Sprinkle bacon, basil and green onions over the salad.
- Just before serving, drizzle salad with vinaigrette; sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Serves 8-12.
Recipe adapted from Simple and Delicious June/July 2013 issue.