Last week on Good Things Utah, a local television show, they had “T” on from Q4U. Q4U is a bbq restaurant that’s in Taylorsville. I think they were originally located in West Valley. Anyway, I haven’t eaten there, but I hear it’s good. And “T” has competed in many bbq contests and won. So I knew this sauce had to be good, plus the idea of an applesauce bbq sauce really got my interest.
After seeing this recipe I knew I had to try it with some pork. Apples and pork go so well together. Also, I liked that the sauce incorporated cinnamon in it to. I had a nice 3.75 pound pork loin in my freezer I decided to use. I cooked the pork loin in my slow cooker for 8 hours, shredded it, and added this sauce. The sauce is quite runny in comparision to bottled sauces, but after mixing it in with all the pork, the meat really soaked it up and absorbed most of it so it wasn’t runny.
The recipe for the sauce would probably be perfect for 3 pounds of pork, I would have liked it a little more saucy.
Let me tell you, the flavor of the sauce is heavenly. You get the apple taste along with the sweetness of the brown sugar, a slight tang from the lemon juice, and the spicy warmth from the cinnamon. It is the perfect sauce to bring in some of those Fall flavors.
I must say I am really in the mood for Fall. If you can’t tell it’s my favorite season. I served this applesauce bbq sauce shredded pork on rolls, but it would also be fabulous by itself. You could also serve it over slices of a pork loin too. Yummy! We loved this! Since I did such a large pork loin I have leftovers, even better.
- PORK LOIN
- BROWN SUGAR
- LEMON JUICE
- BLACK PEPPER
- GARLIC POWDER
- GROUND CINNAMON
Applesauce BBQ Sauce Shredded Pork
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 pork loin around 3 pounds for use of all the sauce, you could also use any type of pork roast or even chops
- 1 cup applesauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 cups brown sugar if too sweet go to 1 cup, but I did 2 cups
- 6 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp ground black pepper I didn't measure this I just did 10 grinds from my pepper grinder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Place pork loin in crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours. I didn't use any liquid to add to mine, but next time I was thinking it would be good to cook it with a little apple juice.
- Remove pork from crock pot and shred. Remove any juice or fat let in crock pot. Place meat back in crock pot and add prepared applesauce bbq sauce. Heat until warm.
- To prepare sauce: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, mix applesauce, ketchup, brown
- sugar, lemon juice, salt, ground black pepper, paprika, garlic powder
- and cinnamon. Stirring frequently, bring mixture to a boil.
- Remove from heat and use to bast the meat of your choice. (The recipe says the applesauce gives the sauce a nice thick texture, and coats well on the meat and that the sweet
- spicy flavor is excellent on chicken or pork.)
This is the original photo from this post. The above photo was updated in September 2014.