Today’s breakfast gift brings two great seasonal flavors together – cranberries and apples. The pancake all begins with some complete pancake mix, the kind you only have to add water to. I want to keep your morning simple. I used Hungry Jack brand mix. The Apple Pancakes with Cranberry Syrup get their wonderful apple flavor from some applesauce along with cinnamon. This batter is thick so you may need to help spread it out in the skillet once you pour it.
Then they get a topped with a simple homemade syrup made from maple syrup, cranberries, and apple juice. Combine the syrup ingredients in a sauce pan. Bring to all to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes or until the cranberries pop. Remove from heat. Serve those simple apple pancakes topped with this festive cranberry syrup.
I thought this syrup was the perfect compliment to the pancakes. The great thing is the syrup you can make it ahead of time and re-heat before serving. You are gonna love these apple pancakes with cranberry syrup.
- MAPLE SYRUP
- APPLE JUICE
- FRESH OR FROZEN CRANBERRIES
- COMPLETE BUTTERMILK PANCAKE MIX
- APPLESAUCE (THE CHUNKIER THE BETTER)
Apple Pancakes with Cranberry Syrup
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 ½ cups maple syrup
- ½ cup apple juice
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 cups complete buttermilk pancake mix
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 cups applesauce the chunkier the better
- ½ cup water
- In a sauce pan, combine the syrup ingredients. Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes or until the cranberries pop. Remove from heat and set aside to cool while you prepare the pancakes.
- In a large bowl, combine the pancake ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour 1/4 cups of batter onto a hot greased griddle. Use a spoon to help spread out the batter. Cook until bubbles form and turn. Cook until second side is golden brown.
- Serve pancakes topped with the cranberry syrup. Makes 18 pancakes.
Pancake recipe adapted from Simple and Delicious Dec/Jan 2013 issue.
Syrup recipe adapted from Troy Bumpas Inn.