Today, I am going to share with you how to make amazing homemade pretzel dogs. If you can made homemade dough, then you can make these.
First, you do need to stat with a good hot dog. I usually use Ball Park All Beef Franks. I have other oves that I like such as Nathan’s brand, but this is the one that everyone in the family likes.
The dough to made these does need about 1 hour to double in size before using. However, if you have an Instant Pot, you can proof your dough in there. The great thing about this is it only take about 30 minutes instead of the usual hour.
After this, the franks get wrapped in the dough and then dipped in a soda water bath. This is what helps to make that beautiful crust of the pretzel.
The final steps before baking these babies in the oven is a brushing of egg yolk mixed with water and a sprinkling of salt or other desired toppings. I did some with Kosher salt and some with Everything Bagel seasoning. I actual preferred it with the Everything Bagel Seasoning on it.
After these amazing homemade pretzel dogs bake, you can decide what to serve these with for dipping such as mustard, ketchup, or cheese sauce etc. I personally am partial to ketchup. Howver, I was thinking a homemade pepper jack cheese sauce would be pretty tasty.Print
- 15 all beef franks
- For the dough:
- 1½ cups warm water
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 4½ cups flour
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted
- For the baking soda bath:
- 10 cups water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- For the egg wash:
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp water
- coarse kosher salt, pretzel salt, or Everything Bagel seasoning
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the warm water, sugar, 1 tsp salt, and yeast. Stir and allow it to sit for 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the flour and the melted butter. Using the dough hook knead on low speed just until the dough comes together. Increase the speed to medium and knead until dough is smooth and pulls away from the sides of the bowl (about 4-5 minutes).
- Remove the dough from the bowl, spray it with non-stick spray, then return the dough back into the bowl and cover with a tea towel or plastic wrap . Let rise for 1 hour in a draft-free, warm place until doubled in size. To proof in the Instant Pot, add the greased dough to the Instant Pot. Cover with a plate of glass lid. Set on the yogurt setting for 30 minutes. You can check after 20 minutes. If your Instant Pot doesn’t have a yogurt setting, you can use the warm setting.
- Whie the dough raises, preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside. Then bring the 10 cups of water with the baking soda to a boil.
- Turn the dough out onto an oiled work surface and divide it into 15 pieces. Roll each dough ball into a 24 inch rope and wrap it around the full length of the frank, pinching the ends onto themselves to prevent them unwrapping.
- Add the pretzel dogs into the boiling soda water for 30 seconds. I do 2 at a time. Using a large slotted spoon or spatula remove them from the water and place onto the prepared baking sheet.
- In a bowl, beat egg yolk and water together. Brush each pretzel dog with the egg mixture and sprinkle with desired topping.
Bake at 450 degrees until golden brown in color, about 10-12 minutes. Makes 15 servings.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Recipe adapted from Let the Baking Begin.