Ok, it’s confession time. I have shared before with you how making pie crust scares me. Well, biscuits from scratch are right up there with pie crust. I am hear to confess to you all that the only biscuits I have made from scratch in my lifetime have been drop biscuits. That is until this week and this recipe for 15 minute cream biscuits.
I must say that I really do love a good, tender, flaky biscuit. I mean it’s right there along with a yummy roll. The best biscuits I ever had were actually at a 50’sdinner type restaurant the use to be at the Disneyland Hotel in California. Unfortunately, that restaurant is no longer there. Anyway, back to the real subject here.
I had recently seen two recipes for cream biscuits, one at My Kitchen Cafe and the other at The Kitchn. I decided to go with the recipe from The Kitchn because it had one less ingredient and the recipe called for cutting the biscuit into squares and not rounds, making it even quicker to make. I am still eventually gonna give the recipe a try at My Kitchen Cafe. However, I can now say I am not longer afraid to make biscuits. This recipe was perfect. It was so easy and created a beautiful and deliciously tender biscuit. I like my biscuits best with some butter and grape jelly. Love this recipe! You must ALL try these 15 minute cream biscuits. It is too simple not to try. They actually do take a little bit longer than 15 minutes, but not much.
15 Minute Cream Biscuits
Real Mom Kitchen
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream divided
- Prep & Preheat: Place a layer of parchment paper across the bottom and up 2 sides of an 8"x8" pan (I may try using a baking sheet next time). Preheat oven to 425°F degrees.
- Mix Dry Ingredients: In a medium bowl, mix together dry ingredients and stir with a whisk to combine.
- Add Cream: Stir in all but 1/4 cup cream. Take a handful of the mixture out of the bowl and place on work surface. Add remaining cream to the dry bits left in the bowl, scrape out and add to dry mixture already on counter. Knead briefly (30 seconds) until dough comes together.
- Form Dough: Shape dough into a long rectangle and cut in half length-wise and then cut each piece into 4 pieces horizontally. Arrange in baking pan.
- Bake: Place in oven on middle rack for 15-18 minutes until golden. Make 8 biscuits.