- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (4 oz) box of wild rice (I used Rice-a-Roni long grain & wild rice)
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1 1/2 cups diced ham
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- optional garnish – sliced almonds
- In a large pot, melt butter. Add in butter and saute until tender. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in the chicken broth and rice mix, including seasoning packet. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender.
- Add in the carrots, ham, milk, and cream. Cook until heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with sliced almonds if desired. Serves 6.