- 2 bell peppers, diced (I used one green, 1/2 red, 1/2 yellow)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef or sausage
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 oz) can beef broth
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup uncooked extra long grain rice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- additional diced peppers and/or green onion for garnish
- In a large skillet, add onion, peppers, and ground beef or sausage. Cook over medium heat until beef or sausage is fully cooked and vegetables are tender.
- Add garlic to the meat mixture and cook for a minute until fragrant. Drain off any excess grease.
- Add tomatoes, beef broth, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, sugar,Worcestershire, and rice to the skillet.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cover. Cook for about 20-30 minutes until moisture is absorbed and rice is tender. At 20 minutes check and give a stir and continue cooking if needed.
- Once rice is tender, sprinkle cheese over the mixture and cover to get the cheese melted.
- Once melted garnish with chopped peppers and /or green onion and serve. Serves 4-6.