- 1 red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 Tbsp butter plus additional for spreading on bread
- 1 Tbsp chopped Fresh sage
- 8 sliced of sourdough or artisan bread
- 1 lb thinly sliced deli roast beef
- 4 slices smoked gouda
- In a skillet, add butter and melt over medium heat. Add in the onion and sage and cook over medium low heat for 30 minutes stirring occasionally until onion is caramelized.
- Butter one side of ever slice of bread. In a skillet, place one slice of bread butter side down, Top with a slice of smoked gouda followed by 1/4 of the caramelized onions and 1/4 of the roast beef. Top with another slice of bread butter side up.
- Grill sandwich until both sides are golden brown. Repeat process with remaining ingredients until all sandwiches are cooked. Makes 4 sandwiches.