- 3 (15 oz.) cans petit diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 cup finely diced carrots
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, minced
- In a slow cooker, combine tomatoes, celery, onion, carrots and broth. Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours.
- Forty five minutes before the soup is done, melt to butter in a deep skillet or large pot. Then whisk in the flour. Whisk for 5 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the half and half, followed by 1 -2 cups of the soup mixture from the pot. Whisk until smooth and well blended.
- Then pour the flour/half and half mixture into the slow cooker with the remaining soup mixture.
- Add the Parmesan cheese to the crock pot and stir soup to combine until cheese is melted.
- Mix in salt, pepper, oregano, and basil. Cover and cook on low for 30 more minutes. Serve as is or blend with an immersion blender until smooth and serve. Serves 6-8