- 2 large leeks, sliced
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 3 lbs Yukon gold potatoes, diced (I didn’t peel them but you can if you want to)
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- fresh chives
- In a large skillet, add the leeks with the butter. Cook over medium heat until the leeks are softened. Add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the leeks to the crock pot along with the potatoes, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken broth and close the lid. Cook on high for 5 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Once the potatoes have softened enough remove the thyme (if using fresh sprigs) and bay leaves. Mash the mixture with a potato mash to help break down the potatoes. Use an immersion blender (or food processor or blender) to blend the soup until smooth. DO NOT over blend. If you are using a food processer or blender, you will have to blend the soup in small batches. See my post for tips on how to do it safely and not have a soup explosion.
- Add the cream, blend again a little, then top with chives to serve. Serves 8.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American