- 2 lbs. boneless chuck roast
- salt and pepper
- 2 cup beef broth
- 6 cloves of minced garlic, divided
- 3 1/2 tsp canola oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 tsp grated lime zest
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 C water
- Season roast with salt and pepper. Place in slow cooker along with beef broth and 2 of the minced cloves of garlic. Cook on low for 6-7 hours or until meat falls apart and shred easily. Remove from crock pot and shred beef adding a little of the cooking liquid if needed to moisten the beef.
- In a bowl combine remaining 4 cloves of garlic, 1 tsp of oil and cumin.
- In another bowl, combine orange juice, lime zest, and lime zest.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in skillet on medium high.
- Add onion and 1/4 tsp salt to the skillet and cook until onions are golden brown. You want them to get color and charring on them, this means flavor!
- Add in 1/2 cup water over onions and cook until liquid evaporates. Remove onions from pan and set aside
- Add in 1 1/2 tsp oil into pan and heat. Add beef and cook until edges are crisp, about 2-4 minutes.
- Reduce heat and move meat to edges of pan and add in garlic mixture in the center, stir and cook until fragrant and golden brown, about a minute or so.
- Remove from heat and add in juice mixture and cooked onion.
- Stir to combine. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.