- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2Tbsp. prepared mustard
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 10–12 slices white bread
- 6 tbsp butter, softened
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a skillet brown beef with union until full cooked. Drain off any grease.
- Add mustard, ketchup, and brown sugar to the beef. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spread butter over one side of each slice of bread.
- For each sandwich, place one slice of bread, butter side down into a skillet.
- Top with a little cheddar cheese, some of the beef mixture, and additional cheddar cheese.
- Place an additional slice of bread on top, butter side up, creating the sandwich.
- Cook over medium heat until both sides of the sandwich are toasted golden brown. Be careful when you flip it so the cheese and sloppy joe filling don’t fall out.
- Repeat until all 5-6 sandwiches are made.