- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp flour
- 32 oz or 4 cups beef broth
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 lb thinly sliced deli roast beef
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 4 hoagie rolls
- In a large skillet, add butter and onions. Saute until tender. Add in garlic and pepper. Cook for 1 minute until garlic is fragrant.
- Remove onions from pan and set aside.
- Add flour along with a couple of Tbsp of the broth to the skillet and make a paste. Add in the remaining broth, Worcestershire sauce, and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- In the meat time. split hoagie rolls open and place cheese on the bottom half of the rolls. Toast until a broiler until golden brown.
- Once broth is done simmering, add in beef and allow to simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Top each toasted roll with some of the beef and some of the onion.
- Fill ramekins of small bowls with juice from the skillet and serve with the sandwiches for dipping. Serves 4.