- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs or cracker crumbs (I used bread crumbs)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- small onion sliced, optional (I used half an onion)
- 1 can condensed beef broth (I used Campbells)
- 1 (4 oz) can sliced mushrooms, drained (I left these out)
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 pkt brown or mushroom gravy mix (I use 2)
- cooked rice, mashed potatoes or noodles for serving
- Mix the beef, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and egg together and shape into 4-6 oval patties about ¾ inches thick. Cook patties in a skillet turning once until brown.
- Add onion, mushroom, and beef broth heat to boiling. Reduce heat cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove patties to a 9 x 13 casserole dish or slow cooker depending on the cooking method you want to use.
- Heat mixture until boiling. Mix water and cornstarch together to make a paste. Add to boiling mixture with a wire whisk and whisk until gravy begins to thicken. Then add the packet of brown or mushroom gravy that has been mixed with one cup of water and add to the beef broth mixture in the skillet. Using the wire whisk again whisk the gravy until it is smooth and thickened.
- Pour the gravy over the patties. Bake in the 9 x 13 casserole dish at 350 until bubbly or cook in the crock pot on low for 3 hours. Serve with cooked rice, mashed potatoes or noodles. Serves 4-6.