- 3–1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 envelope FLEISCHMANN’S RapidRise Yeast (I used SAF yeast)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup instant potato flakes or buds* (I used the instant flakes)
- 2 eggs
- In large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, and salt. Heat water, milk, and butter until very warm (120o to 130oF). Stir in potato flakes; let soften 1 minute. Stir into dry ingredients.
- Stir in 1 egg and enough remaining flour to make soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 4 to 6 minutes. Cover; let rest on floured surface 10 minutes. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece to 12-inch rope. Coil each rope to make “snail” shape.
- Arrange rolls in a circle on large greased baking sheet with sides barely touching. Place large shallow pan on counter; half fill with boiling water. Place baking sheet on pan. Cover; let rise 15 minutes. Lightly beat remaining egg; brush over rolls. Bake at 375oF for 25 minutes or until done. Remove from sheet; let cool on wire rack. Makes 12 Rolls.
*To use fresh potato: Follow above directions except decrease water to 1/2 cup and replace potato flakes with 1/3 cup cooked, mashed potato (at room temperature). Stir mashed potato into dough along with egg.