- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar plus 1/4-1/2 cup extra if caramelizing sugar on top
- 3/4 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Place eggs in a bowl and set aside.
- In a sauce pan, heat the cream until it is just about to come to a simmer; remove from heat.
- Add the 1/2 cup of sugar to the eggs in the bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Whisk a little of the hot cream into the eggs. This will temper the eggs.
- Then slowly add the rest of the hot cream to the egg mixture while whisking. Whisk in the vanilla.
- Strain the mixture through a mesh sieve into a large measuring cup with a pouring lip (this makes it easy to pour the mixture into the ramekins) to remove any lumpy bits. (I actually skip the sieve part, but it is good to do to make sure it is nice and creamy)
- Divide the mixture into 8 ramekins that can hold 1/2 cup.
- Place the ramekins in a large baking dish. Fill the baking dish with boiling water until the water is about halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool enough to place in the refrigerator. Refrigerate until cool. (at least 2 hours)
- Just before serving, top with fresh fruit. Or if you prefer the caramelized sugar – sprinkle each dish with 1-2 tsp of sugar and gently shake to even the sugar. The torch the sugar until a amber color.