- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup Nutella or other chocolate spread brand (I used Kirkland)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9×9 inch pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer, add melted butter, pumpkin, and both sugars. Blend together using the paddle attachment. You can also use a hand mixer, if you prefer. Mix until smooth, about 30 seconds. Add in the egg yolk, baking soda, salt, spices, and vanilla and mix together. Add in the flour and mix until batter is smooth.
- Press half the batter in the bottom of the prepared 9×9 pan. Spray your hands with cooking spray to help press in the batter. Bake at 350 for 8 minutes.
- Place Nutella (or other chocolate spread) in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for a few seconds until pourable. Pour evenly over the top of the partially baked crust. Spread it carefully so it doesn’t rip the cookie bars.
- With the remainder of the dough, grab small amounts and flatten with your fingers to make little pieces of flattened dough and lay the pieces over the nutella layer covering as much as you can.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 17-20 minutes until the top is no longer glossy and the edges are golden brown. Allow to cool completely before cutting. Makes 9-16 bars.