- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- mini chocolate chips, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk pumpkin, pumpkin spice, eggs, sour cream, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla together. Add in the yellow cake mix and stir just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Fill the lined muffing cups halfway full with batter. Bake at 325 degrees for 12-15 minutes just until centers barely spring back.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 1 minute, then place them on a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- To prepare the frosting – in a bowl, whip butter and cocoa powder until creamy. Add in vanilla, salt, and heavy cream.
- Add in powdered sugar one cup at a time and beat in. Pipe frosting on cupcakes and sprinkle with mini chocolate chips. Makes 24 cupcakes.