- 4 cups diced potato
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth (I used water and 2 bouillon cubes)
- 3 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/3 c. milk or half & half
- ½ tsp salt (add more if you do not use bouillon cubes)
- scant ½ tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- Boil potatoes in water until tender; about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine olive oil, peppers, onion, garlic and carrot in a medium sauce pan. Sauté on medium heat until vegetables are soft.
- Drain all liquid from potatoes and add vegetables and broth to the pot. Add bacon, milk or half & half, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Prepare roux by melting butter in a separate pot and stirring in flour to make a paste. Slowly add cream and allow to bubble, stirring, until roux thickens and comes away from the sides of the pan.
- Add roux to soup mixture along with the cheese. If necessary, add milk to desired consistency. Serves about 6.