- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup cold shortening
- pinch of salt
- ice cold water, a tsp at a time
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the flour, butter, shortening, and salt. Pulse until these are pea sized chunks. (If you don’t have a food processor, you can do this the old fashioned way with pastry cutter or to knives. I prefer the food processor)
- With the food processor running, pour ice water into the bowl just until the dough just starts to get noticeably crumbly. Don’t wait until it is a big ball or it will be way too wet. (If doing this without a food processor add water and mix by hand until the dough forms a ball.)
- Remove from food processor and form dough into a ball by hand. If need and a little more water.
- Divide dough in half. Place 1/2 of the dough on a pie mat or in between 2 pieces of waxed paper. Roll out into a 9 inch circle.
- Place crust in your pie pan and crimp edges. Repeat with other crust. Place crust in freezer for 30 minutes before baking.
- Cover edges of crust with foil. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Then remove foil from edges and bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Make two 9 inch pie crusts.