- 1 package lemon cake mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 small package lemon instant pudding
- Lemon Buttercream Frosting:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, very soft
- 6–8 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Berries, optional fro garnish
- Add of the the cake ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Mix with electric mixer on medium speed for about two minutes. Use a strong mixer, this batter is thick.
- For cupcakes, bake them at 350 degrees for 20 minutes (I was able to get 24 very full cupcakes from the recipe). For regular cake, pour into a greased 9×11 pan or two round pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Don’t over bake or the cake will be too dry! The toothpick test works to check to see if they’re done. Allow to cool.
- The original recipe said that the cupcakes will fall after they come out of the oven, but this is normal and to just fill up the indentation with more frosting. I didn’t have this problem at all!
- For frosting, place the butter in a large mixing bowl. Add 4 cups of sugar, then the juice and the zest. Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, until icing is thick enough to be of good spreading consistency (I added 6 cups total). Use and store at room temperature. (Don’t refrigerate and it will last in a covered container for about three days.)
- Frost cooled cupcakes with frosting. Garnish with berries, if desired right before serving.