- 1 box (18.25 oz) cake mix (vanilla, devil’s food, or yellow)
- 1 cup buttermilk (in place of water called for on the box)
- Vegetable oil (same as the amount on the box)
- 4 eggs (in place of the number called for on the box)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin cups with paper liners.
- Follow the box instructions, putting all the ingredients in a large bowl and using the buttermilk in place of the water specified on the box, using the amount of vegetable oil that is called for, and adding the eggs. Beet with an electric mixer until moistened, about 30 seconds. Increase the speed to high and beat until thick, 2 minutes longer
- Fill paper liners two-thirds full. Bake 12 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Cool completely before icing. Makes 22-24 cupcakes.