- 1 pkg white cake mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 small package white chocolate instant pudding
- 1/3 cup red, white and blue sprinkles plus additional if desired to top cupcakes with
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 8 oz light cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (I used clear so it kept the frosting a bright white color)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, sour cream, water, oil, eggs, and pudding mix. Mix with electric mixer on medium speed for about two minutes. Use a strong mixer, this batter is thick.
- Then fold the 1/3 cup of sprinkles into the cake mix.
- Fill 24 lined cupcake tins with batter. Fill each about 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake them at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Don’t over bake or the cake will be too dry! The toothpick test works to check to see if they’re done.
- Allow cupcakes to cool.
- To make frosting: place the white chocolate chips into a microwave safe dish. Microwave in 20 second intervals stirring each time until the chips are all smooth and melted. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and cream cheese together. Cream until light and fluffy.
- Next, beat in about 1/3 of the melted chocolate until well blended. Repeat the process until all the chocolate is melted. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl down after each addition.
- Then beat in the vanilla and powdered sugar. Beat well until light and fluffy.
- Frost cooled cupcakes with the frosting and top with additional sprinkles if desired.