- 3–4 apples, unpeeled and diced into 1/2 inch pieces (I used gala)
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup apple juice or cider (I used Langer’s Light)
- 2 cups uncooked steel cut oats
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, divided
- 2 tsp cinnamon, divided
- any additional desired toppings for oatmeal such as chopped nuts, raisins, craisins, brown sugar, milk, cream, granola, etc.
- Spray the insert of your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray or use a slow cooker liner.
- Add the diced apple, milk, water, apple juice, oats, maple syrup, butter, salt, vanilla to your slow cooker and stir until well combined. Then mix in 2 Tbsp of the brown sugar along with 1 tsp of the cinnamon.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- In the morning, add the remaining 2 Tbsp brown sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon and stir the oatmeal. It will thicken more after you give it a stir.
- Unplug the slow cooker and let sit for 5 minutes. Your oatmeal is now ready to serve. Top with any additional desired toppings. Serves 6-8
Leftovers can be placed in containers and put in the refrigerator. To reheat, just add a little milk to 1 cup of the oatmeal. Microwave for 30 seconds. Give it a stir and microwave for another 30 seconds or until heated through.