- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup milk
- ¾ cup half & half
- 1 (24 oz) jar marinara or pasta sauce
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 (16 oz) pkg frozen cheese tortellini
- parmesan cheese, optional for garnish
- basil, optional for garnish
- In a large stock pot, cook the onion, carrot in the olive oil until the onions are translucent.
- Mix in the fresh basil, chicken broth, milk, half & half, pasta sauce, and diced tomatoes along with the salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add in the tortellini and simmer for another 15-20 minutes or until the tortellini is tender..
- Serve and garnish with parmesan cheese and fresh basil if desired. Serves 6-8