- 2 cups elbow macaroni or shell pasta
- 2 cups skim milk , plus more if needed
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp dried mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup grated Monterrey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- Place uncooked macaroni in a colander and rinse with water, then allow to drain.
- In a large sauce pan, add the macaroni, milk, butter, dried mustard, and salt.
- Bring to a simmer cover medium heat. Once it comes to a simmer, turn down to low.
- It this point you need to say right by the pot and stir. You will stir for 15-20 minutes until the milk is mostly absorbed and the pasta is tender. You can add more milk if needed. Stirring will prevent a sticky burnt mess.
- Add the cheese and stir to combine.
- Remove the pot from the heat and cover with the lid and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir and taste. Add more salt if necessary. Will serve 4.