- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 8 slices sturdy white sandwich bread
- 8 slices turkey breast
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 8 slices Black Forest or other ham
- 1 Tbsp butter
- confectioners’ sugar (optional)
- 1/4 cup raspberry or strawberry jam (optional)
- In a wide, shallow bowl, beat eggs and milk to combine.
- Lay a slice of bread on a work surface and top with 2 slices turkey, 1 slice cheese, 2 slices ham and a second slice of bread. Repeat to assemble remaining sandwiches.
- Warm a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Melt butter (if pan is not large enough to accommodate all 4 sandwiches, melt half of butter and cook sandwiches in 2 batches). When butter sizzles, swirl pan to coat.
- Carefully dip each sandwich in egg mixture, turning to lightly coat both sides. Shake off excess egg mixture. Leaving too much on will make them soggy. Just give each side a light dip in the mixture. Lay sandwiches in hot pan. Cook, turning once, until sandwiches are well-browned on both sides, 4 to 6 minutes total.
- To serve, cut sandwiches in half diagonally and sprinkle lightly with confectioners’ sugar, if desired. Top each sandwich half with a small dollop of jam, or serve jam alongside for dipping.