- oil for frying (I use canola)
- 12 beef franks (I used Ball Park franks I got from Costco)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup yellow (or white) cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk plus more if needed to thin the batter
- Preheat some oil in a deep fryer or large skillet to 365 degrees. You need it to be a couple of inches deep and the pan needs to be large enough to fit the corn dogs in. You want to completely submege the corn dogs in the oil.
- Cut each of the hot dogs into thirds and toss in the cornstarch. Shake off any excess.
- In a bowl, whisk together the corn meal,flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder. Add egg and buttermilk, then whisk until well combined. If needed, add more buttermilk to make desired consistency. You want it like a thick pancake batter so it will stay on the hot dogs.
- Now if you want, you can insert toothpick into each piece of hot dog, dip in batter until well coated, and fry. I dipped the hot dogs in the batter and just removed each one from the batter using 2 toothpicks and gently dropped them into the oil. I recommend only doing 6 at a time. This amount was manageable. Fry until golden brown. Drain on towels.
- If you want to keep them warm while you fry the others. Place them on an oven safe cooling rack placed on a cookie sheet and place in a 200 degree oven. This will keep them warm and crisp. Makes 36 mini corn dogs.