- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (32 oz) jar marinara sauce (I use the Costco Kirkland brand)
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans petite diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ( 16 oz) pkg. ziti pasta
- 6 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 (15 0z) container ricotta
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 eggs
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook for a minute or two just until it begins to soften. Then add the beef and sausage and cook until fully cooked.
- Add garlic to beef and cook until fragrant. Drain off almost all of the fat.
- Add the marinara, tomatoes, italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to the meat. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- While sauce simmers bring a pot of water to a boil and cook ziti according to package directions to almost al dente. Drain and rinse with cool water.
- When sauce is cooked, remove 3 cups of the sauce from the pot and place in another dish to allow to cool down.
- In a large bowl, mix 2 cups of the mozzarella with the ricotta, parmesan, parsley and eggs. Mix just until egg is combined in.
- Mix the pasta with the cheese mixture. Then mix in the 3 cups of sauce you set aside to cool.
- Place half of the pasta in a 9 x 13 inch baking or lasagna pan (I used two 9 x 9 dishes so I could have 2 meals). Spoon half of the sauce over the pasta followed by 2 cups of the remaining mozzarella cheese. Repeat with another later of pasta, sauce, and and the remaining 2 cups or mozzarella cheese.
- Bake until bubbling, about 20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before sprinkling with chopped parsley to serve.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serves 12.